Preparing for Your First Meeting with Your Personal Injury Lawyer
Getting injured in an accident can have life-changing consequences, including permanent injuries, loss of income, extensive medical bills, and trauma. A personal injury lawyer can help recover compensation for damages and improve settlement outcomes.
Meeting with a personal injury attorney can be intimidating if you don’t know what to expect. At the Law Firm of Roger 'Rocky' Walton, P.C., we help put clients at ease throughout the legal process, beginning with the first meeting. Read these tips if you want help preparing for your first meeting with our personal injury lawyer in Arlington, TX.
Be Prepared to Answer Questions About Your Incident
In order to get an understanding of your injuries, their impact on your life, and what remedies are most suitable for your situation, your personal injury lawyer will likely begin your first meeting with several questions.
Having an idea of what types of questions are likely to be asked can help you have an answer ready. Questions may include:
- What specific injuries did you suffer and what has the impact been on your daily life?
- Have you seen a doctor and, if so, what did they say about your injuries?
- Have you spoken to your insurance company about your accident and what did you discuss?
- Who have you spoken with about your accident and what did you say?
- What insurance coverage do you have?
- In what specific ways has the accident and your injuries affected you and your family?
Bring Important Documentation
Documentation and evidence are essential for building a strong personal injury case. It’s helpful to bring as much documentation pertaining to your injuries and accident as you can to your first meeting with Rocky Walton at our Arlington office. Don’t worry if you don’t have every piece of documentation. Our personal injury attorney can help obtain pertinent documentation that you may have missed or were unaware of needing.
With that said, some important documentation you should consider bringing to your first meeting includes:
- A copy of the police or accident report
- Your medical records related to the accident, including medical bills, records of doctor visits or hospitalization
- Documents showing wage loss, such as pay stubs
- Insurance information explaining your medical coverage and auto insurance coverage if injured in a car accident
- Photos or videos detailing the accident and showing your injuries
Make a List of Questions
It’s common to have many questions when meeting a personal injury attorney. Consider writing down a list of questions to help you remember what you’d like to ask your attorney. Some questions you may want to ask your attorney include:
- How long have you practiced personal injury law?
- What outcome might I expect based on similar cases?
- How long might it take to resolve my personal injury case?
- How does your fee structure work?
Schedule a Consultation
If you have been injured in an accident and would like to discuss your options for pursuing damages, please contact us or call our Arlington law firm at (817) 429-4299 to schedule a consultation.