What Is Premises Liability?
When you visit a public or private property, you have a right to expect that the property poses no hazards to anyone acting reasonably. Unfortunately, not all property owners keep their premises safe. Premises liability is a legal concept, often seen in personal injury cases, in which a person’s injury is the result of unsafe conditions. A premises liability claim is the means by which victims pursue compensation for losses suffered as a result of their injury. The negligent party is responsible for paying the damages.
In order to collect compensation, victims must prove that the property owner's negligence directly caused the injury.
Mr. Walton is board-certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. With Mr. Walton on your side, you have a greater likelihood of collecting compensation for your losses.
Common Types of Premises Liability Cases
Premises liability claims can be filed for a number of reasons, including:
- Slip and Fall Accidents: Uneven and wet surfaces commonly result in falls. Likewise, ice and snow that accumulates on the property can have the same result. If a property owner fails to address wet and slippery surfaces, they can be held liable when injuries result.
- Improper Maintenance: From repaving a parking space or regularly inspecting heating equipment, there are many ways in which a property owner must maintain their property.
- Lack of Security: Public spaces and apartment complexes in particular benefit from having security guards on the premises and keeping the area well-lit. If someone falls or suffers an assault in a place where there is inadequate security or lighting, the property owner may be held responsible.
- Dog Bites: According to CDC estimates, nearly 20 percent of dog bites require medical attention. In Texas, pet owners are responsible for attacks by their dogs.
- Chemicals: Chemicals must be stored in approved containers. Should a business owner fail to protect his or her customers from fumes and other hazards presented by chemicals, he or she may be held liable for any harm that ensues.
Why Is a Lawyer Necessary in a Premises Liability Case?
Injuries resulting from unsafe property conditions range from head and neck injuries to spine injuries and paralysis. Mr. Walton is board-certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. With Mr. Walton on your side, you have a greater likelihood of collecting compensation for losses including:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages from missed time at work
- Pain and suffering
Mr. Walton will examine the facts behind your injury to establish liability and ensure you receive the compensation you deserve. If he is unable to reach a proper settlement, he will not hesitate to take your case to trial.
Contact a Premises Liability Lawyer
If you have been injured on someone else’s property, schedule a free consultation with personal injury attorney Roger "Rocky" Walton at his Arlington office. You may be entitled to significant compensation for your injury. Contact us online or call (817) 727-4079 now.